Monday, February 15, 2010

Lady Gardener's Soap (for Phyllis)

I have been thinking about New Harmony, Indiana a lot over the past few months. I have been pondering, in particular, the many wonderful and accomplished people that I had the privilege to meet there. 
New Harmony is never far from my mind, as I grew up around the area. 
I was fortunate to work at the New Harmony Gallery of Contemporary Art just after I completed my graduate studies. It so happened that during the particular time frame I happened to "land there", New Harmony was enjoying a Renaissance of sorts...and it was flourishing with many talented and creative people.
One of my fondest memories is of my friend, Phyllis, planting scented geraniums at the perimeter of Jerry Wade's patio. 
I have never forgotten the fragrance of those cherished plants.
With the memory of those wonderfully-scented geraniums, I created a soap for my friend, Phyllis. Phyllis was the "Botanist in Residence" at New Harmony during my all-too-brief tenure.
Here we go ....using the new pine mold again ....
 
I created a batch of basic soap with rice bran oil (good stuff!). I scented the whole lot with lemon, geranium and rose geranium essential oils. I threw in some cornmeal for scrubbing and exfoliation.
I tried to make the soap as lovely as possible, so I split the batch and only added green oxide to one part. I layered the soap in the mold and textured the top like a meringue.
 
I think this soap is lovely, but not as lovely as the Lady Gardener, the scented geraniums, or New Harmony.
These will be cured on the first day of Spring!
In Beauty....

No comments:

Post a Comment